With cooler temperatures and shorter days upon us, it is the perfect time of year to gather around the table for a hearty meal. We like to take advantage of all the delicious winter squash that is piled up at the store. We bring bushels of it home and make our roasted acorn squash.
Winter squash is sweet and rich when cooked. It also holds its beautiful autumn hue that brings color to any meal. We add cinnamon to the butter that we drizzle on our squash to highlight the sweet yet slightly spiced flavor. Chopped pistachios give it that satisfying nutty taste and a nice crunch.
This recipe is so simple yet delicious…
Just throw it all in the oven to roast for about 35 minutes, add the cinnamon butter, top with nuts and serve! It’s a perfect side dish for a busy week night meal. I love to serve this with grilled chicken and a green salad to make a quick well balanced dinner that can stand up to the richness of the acorn squash.
- 2 acorn squash, unpeeled, quartered lengthwise, and seeded
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed Pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, toss the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out evenly.
- Roast until soft, 35-45 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour into a small bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon, as desired.
- Place squash on a serving platter and top with the melted cinnamon butter.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios, as desired.
Here is a great guide to learning all about winter squash.